Block-level Differential Backups
Block-level Incremental Backups
File-level Restores on Linux & Windows
vSphere 4.x, 5.0 Platforms:
ESX/ESXi 4.x, 5.0
vCenter 4.0, 4.1, 5.0
(managing ESX/ESXi 3.5 and later)
VMware Infrastructure 3 Platforms:
Virtual Center 2.5
(managing ESX/ESXi 3.5)
vStorage deployment Platforms:
CentOS 5, 6
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6
SUSE Enterprise Server 10, 11
Windows Server 2003 SP2,
Windows Server 2008 SP1 and R2
Windows Desktop: 7, Vista, XP SP3
Arkeia's vStorage Backup Agent for VMware's vSphere 4 & 5 family of products reduces the costs and complexity typically associated with backup in virtual environments. Arkeia Software offers a solution for protecting VMware environments that is fast, easy to use, and affordable.
By leveraging VMware's vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP) and embedding the VMware VDDK libraries in our agent, Arkeia's vStorage Backup Agent enables next-generation virtual machine backup. Earlier backup solutions for VMware environments required either proxy servers or software installed on the VMware hypervisor.
Arkeia's vStorage Backup Agent Is Fast
- Block-grain incremental image-level backups use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) for reduced storage needs and faster backups due to reduced network traffic
- Both traditional full backups and "thin" full backups are supported; thin full backups protect only those blocks on the volume image that have been written by the volume manager; this strategy accelerates backups and saves storage space
- Multiple transport methods allow the Arkeia Agent to perform LAN-free backups over the SAN, over the virtual LAN, or via SCSI hot-adds for accelerated performance
Arkeia's vStorage Backup Agent Is Flexible
- Raw Device Mapping (RDM) support for backups of remote block storage devices, including incremental backups using CBT when in virtual compatibility mode
- Differential backups, as well as full and incremental backups, for the flexibility to define an efficient backup process
- Flexible restores including hypervisor redirection, as well as options to choose datacenter/folder, cluster/host, resource pool, or datastore destinations to simplify the restore process
- File- and folder-grain restores from image backups of both Windows and Linux guest operating systems (including LVM); file-level restores do not require a VMware instance (ESX or vCenter); if you lose your ESX server, you can recover your files without installing a new hypervisor.
Arkeia's vStorage Backup Agent Is Easy-to-Use
- vCenter integration for simplified management of backup and recovery operations for environments with multiple physical hosts
- vApp support to backup and restore of groups of VMs working together, as well as granular restore on a per VM basis
- Web GUI based backup and recovery operations
Minimize Backup Windows and Reduce Downtime
By leveraging VMware's vStorage API, the VMware Backup Agent is able to perform proxy-less backups of VMware virtual machines. No longer is a Windows proxy server required to stage the backups, as was the case with VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB), resulting not only in faster backups, but also reduce storage requirements. The VMware Backup Agent also supports multiple transport methods that enables LAN-free backup over the SAN. Block-level incrementals further enhances performance by backing up only the changed blocks within a virtual machine.
Reduce the Complexity of Virtual Machine Backup and Recovery
The VMware Backup Agent is able to perform virtual machine backups and recoveries without requiring a backup agent to be installed on each virtual machine. A single agent enables consolidated management of multiple virtual machines for all backup and recovery operations. The Agent is also compatible with VMware vCenter to enable support for multiple ESX/ESXi hosts. By not requiring a backup proxy for staging, the VMware Backup Agent removes much of the complexity that is associated with VCB-based backups. Furthermore, file-level restores can be performed from image-level backups without requiring additional file-level backups.
Lower the Costs Associated with Backup in Virtual Environments
With the VMware Backup Agent, Arkeia Software offers a comprehensive backup and recovery solution for both physical and virtual machine environments. Companies no longer have to purchase and manage separate applications to protect virtual infrastructure. Arkeia Software offers a solution that only requires a single license to backup multiple virtual machines. By integrating with the vStorage API, the backup footprint is reduced by minimizing the amount of network throughput and storage required for virtual machine backup.
Three capabilities make Arkeia solutions outstanding for protecting virtualized environments. No other data protection integrates all of these capabilities:
- Arkeia protects all the major virtual environments. It also protects more than 200 physical platforms so a single backup solution can protect your entire IT environment.
- Arkeia's Progressive Deduplication™ is truly global. It deduplicates data blocks not only across multiple virtual machines, but across multiple hypervisors. Moreover, deduplication works across both physical and virtual environments further reducing your backup size!
- Arkeia supports direct backup to disk and tape. Arkeia also replicates backup sets to local media (e.g. tape), as well as to public or private clouds, for secure off-site storage.
Download the Arkeia Network Backup software and its vStorage agent for a free, 30-day trial. See how much backup space Arkeia can save. See how Arkeia can shorten your backup window!