The Hyper-V Backup Agent for Arkeia Network Backup reduces the costs and complexity typically associated with backup in virtual environments. By integrating with Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS), Arkeia Software offers a solution for protecting Hyper-V environments that is fast, easy to use, and affordable. Combined with the VSS, Arkeia Network Backup enables next-generation virtual machine backup.
Hyper-V Backup Agent Features:
- Manage backup and recovery operations through a web-based graphical user interface
- Use a single Arkeia Agent to backup and recover individual or multiple virtual machines as well as configuration data and virtual hard drives
- Perform application-aware, transactionally-consistent backups of running Windows applications, such as Exchange, SQL Server, and SharePoint
- Perform hot backups without requiring that virtual machines be quiesced
- Support both Windows and Linux guest operating systems
- With Arkeia Progressive Deduplication™ perform deduped block-level incremental backups
Minimize Backup Window and Reduce Downtime
By leveraging Microsoft VSS, the Hyper-V Backup Agent is able to perform snapshot-based backups of Hyper-V virtual machines. Enhanced support for VSS enables transactionally consistent backups of Windows applications as well, allowing administrators to perform a single-pass backup that protects both files and applications. Image-level backup enables rapid disaster recovery for both Linux and Windows guest operating systems, resulting in reduced downtime.
Note that Microsoft's VSS writer for Hyper-V does not support incremental backups, as it does for applications like Microsoft Exchange. Only full image backups are supported. However, Arkeia's source-side deduplication offers all the compression benefits of incremental backups because the Arkeia Backup Agent will only send new (i.e. unknown) blocks over the network to the Arkeia Backup Server. With dedupe, the compression ratio will be the same as if the hypervisor supported "changed block tracking."
Reduce the Complexity of Virtual Machine Backup and Recovery
The Hyper-V Backup Agent is able to perform virtual machine backups and recoveries without requiring a backup agent to be installed on the guest operating system of each virtual machine. A single agent enables consolidated management of multiple virtual machines for all backup and recovery operations. The Hyper-V Backup Agent offers enhanced support for VSS-aware Windows applications running within virtual machines and automatically performs VSS snapshots and post-backup maintenance such as log truncation where applicable.
Lower the Costs Associated with Backup in Virtual Environments
With the Hyper-V Backup Agent, Arkeia Software offers a comprehensive backup and recovery solution for both physical and virtual machine environments. Companies no longer have to purchase and manage separate applications to protect virtual infrastructure. Arkeia Software offers a solution that only requires a single license to backup multiple virtual machines. By integrating with VSS, the backup footprint is reduced by minimizing the impact on running virtual machines.
Three capabilities make Arkeia solutions outstanding for protecting virtualized environments. No other data protection integrates all of these capabilities:
- Arkeia protects all the major virtual environments. It also protects more than 200 physical platforms so a single backup solution can protect your entire IT environment. Deduplication works across both, further reducing your backup size!
- Arkeia's Progressive Deduplication™ is truly global. It deduplicates data blocks not only across multiple virtual machines, but across multiple hypervisors, even if the virtual machines use different hypervisor technologies.
- Arkeia supports direct backup to disk and tape. Arkeia also replicates backup sets to local media (e.g. tape), as well as to public or private clouds, for secure off-site storage.
Download the Arkeia Network Backup software and the Hyper-V for a free, 30-day trial. See how much backup space Arkeia can save. See how Arkeia can shorten your backup window!