The WD Arkeia virtual appliance (AVA) for backup provides simple, reliable and affordable data protection for enterprises seeking to optimize the benefits of virtualization. The AVA offers all the features of the hardware appliance, but permits you to use your own choice of hardware.
The WD Arkeia virtual appliance for backup also enables enterprises to leverage the capabilities of virtual environments while taking advantage of the unique features included in the all-in-one backup solution.
Organizations can benefit from features such as high-availability, load-balancing and storage provisioning that are already available from virtualization platforms like VMware's vSphere. When complemented with WD Arkeia’s Central Management Server, a remote administrator can manage backup policies and review compliance.
vmOneStep Virtual Appliances
Beginning with WD Arkeia's x20 series hardware appliances, all new releases of WD Arkeia virtual appliances are vmOneStep.
WD Arkeia vmOneStep appliances permit agent-less backups of vSphere hypervisors (both ESX and ESXi). Simply install the appliance and assign an IP address, and the appliance will auto-discover VMware hypervisors on the network. Use your Web browser to define a storage target and schedule backups. No operating systems to deploy and configure, no software to install, no tedious declaration of hypervisors: it’s one step.
Virtual Appliance Benefits
- Save Time - Deploying a WD Arkeia virtual appliance is as easy as flipping a switch. Save time by not having to deal with any hardware components or the installation of an OS and associated software packages.
- Reduce Complexity - With the WD Arkeia virtual appliance you don't have to worry about compatible hardware and different packages for different Operating Systems. There is one package that is distributed in the Open Virtualization Machine Format, allowing enterprises to deploy the WD Arkeia virtual appliance in various virtual environments.
- Scale - The WD Arkeia virtual appliance can scale horizontally and vertically with minimal effort. Individual appliances can scale to support terabytes of backup data with a single click. Multiple WD Arkeia virtual appliances can be deployed rapidly and easily to support petabytes of data, with the ability to all be managed from a central interface.
- Accessible - The Arkeia virtual appliance conforms to the Open Virtualization Machine Format, a platform independent, efficient, extensible and open packaging and distribution format for virtual appliances.
WD Arkeia Virtual Appliance Range
Today, the WD Arkeia virtual appliance for backup runs on VMware vSphere ESXi and ESX platforms. Four models are available with storage capacities and agent number that can be specified at the time of order and extended in the field.
WD Arkeia's VMware vStorage agent can also be deployed in an independent virtual appliance, bringing you further flexibility and scalability by leveraging your vSphere insfrastructure.
|Arkeia Virtual Appliance Model||Free AVA||AVA-1000||vmOneStep Virtual|
|Disk Storage Capacity||250GB||1TB upg. to 64TB
||1TB upg. to 64TB||1TB upg. to 64TB|
|Bundled Agents||1 VMware
|1 File agent||1 VMware
|Tape Drive License||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Tape Automation License||—||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Data Deduplication License||—||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Maintenance (updates, upgrades and support) Included
||—||1 year||1 year||1 year|
Three capabilities make WD Arkeia solutions outstanding for protecting virtualized environments. No other data protection integrates all of these capabilities:
- WD Arkeia protects all the major virtual environments. It also protects more than 200 physical platforms so a single backup solution can protect your entire IT environment.
- WD Arkeia's Progressive Deduplication™ technology is truly global. It deduplicates data blocks not only across multiple virtual machines, but across multiple hypervisors. Moreover, deduplication works across both physical and virtual environments further reducing your backup size!
- WD Arkeia supports direct backup to disk and tape. WD Arkeia also replicates backup sets to local media (e.g. tape), as well as to public or private clouds, for secure off-site storage.